Am I eligible?
- are currently employed on a dairy farm in a full time position, and remain so until the conclusion of the National Awards Dinner
- have no equity in any dairy farming business and are not self-employed
- Be a New Zealand Citizen, New Zealand Resident or hold a New Zealand Work Visa at close of entries
- Eligibility must be confirmed by full Conditions of Entry (pdf 213KB) . . .
Then you can enter this category!
If you are unsure which category you can enter, please use our Contact page to get in touch outlining your circumstance.
How do I enter?
- Create an Account (or Login if you are a previous entrant and already have an account) & fill out an Entry Form on this website during the entry open period.
- To complete your entry, we require the Farm Owner's and Employer's permission (if they are different people). If you supply an email address, permission can be obtained electronically or alternatively, in printed form if they do not have an email address.
- When permission has been given, you will receive an email from the NZDIA with details on how to access the 'entrant only' part of our website. Here you will find more information about the category including Tips for Judging.
What about Judging?
- Judging will be held through the months of January, February and March. Check your regional dates to make sure you will be around and not sunning yourself on the beach! Closer to your region's judging dates, you will receive your specific judging date and time.
- Judging takes place on farm and may be no more than 1 ½ hours. If it’s all done in less time, that’s ok! A judging breakdown and expected timeframes are shown below.
- Five entrants will progress to the final round of judging. Finals judging takes place on farm and may be no more than 1 ¾ hours. Again, if it is done in less time, that’s ok. Finals judging is a step up from the preliminary round and the judging breakdown and expected timeframes are shown below.
- Entrants receive a written Feedback Report from their judges, with finalists receiving a report from each of their judging rounds.
- Regional winners progress to the National Final. In April/May they are judged by a national judging team to determine the national winners and place getters. National finals judging is on farm and largely entrant presentation based. There is also a formal interview during the national finals’ week. Further information will be provided to regional winners following their regional awards dinner.
- The judging covers the topics outlined on the wheels below, all of which you will be familiar with in your everyday farming life. Once entered, there will be more information about your category.
DairyNZ provide tools to help you assess your farm performance.
- Farm Gauge - Identifies the opportunities in your business. Click here to try it.